(Chair: Peter FERSCHIN, Austria)
This session will focus on issues that may have been neglected on many of the virtual reconstructions in the recent time. Beside impressive and immersive realistic imagery of the reconstructed past, scientific questions are mainly kept in the background. So a critical view at 3D reconstructions of urban environments should also address the following topics:
- differentiating between archaeological evidence and reconstruction
- explaining the ideas, concepts and references used
- provide several plausible variations
- encode the level of “certainty” of parts of the reconstructions
- simulate the ancient construction process
The session should invite all people working at archaeological reconstructions as well as many critical viewpoints as possible to enrich scientific discussion and generate new reconstruction concepts.