(Chairs: Peter FERSCHIN, Austria / Bernhard FRISCHER, USA )
This session will focus on issues that may have been neglected on many of the virtual archaeological reconstructions in the recent time. Beside impressive and immersive realistic imagery of the reconstructed past, scientific questions are mainly kept in the background. So a critical view at 3D reconstructions should also visually address topics like:
- differentiating between archaeological evidence and reconstruction
- explaining the ideas, concepts and references that were used
- provide several plausible variations
- encode the level of “certainty” of parts of the reconstructions
- simulate the ancient construction process
The session should invite all people working at archaeological reconstructions as well as many critical viewpoints as possible to enrich scientific discussion and generate new reconstruction concepts.